May 22nd, 20151722 views
If you live here at Reading Commons, we’re guessing you already know about the lovely Lake Quannapowitt in neighboring Wakefield. (However, you might not know its correct pronunciation — KWAN-ah-POW-it.)
In case you haven’t visited in person — and even if you have — we’ve put together our top 10 list of things to love about the lake.
Drumroll, please …
- Run a 5k. Sign up for one of the many organized events. Or, chart out your very own 3.2 mile venture, which is just about the exact distance of the path around the lake if you don’t sneak in any shortcuts.
- Take in the Wakefield Town Commonon the south shore of the lake. And take a photo. It’s one of the most picturesque scenes you’ll encounter in the area — winter, spring, summer or fall.
- Lie on the shore with a novel. Open up a beach chair, slather on the sunscreen and relax. If you play hooky and come on a weekday, the silence will make your day extra sweet.
- Take in the Fourth of July fireworks show. It’s a good one. Why fight the crowds in Boston when you can experience beautiful lights and music (and parking!) right here on your home turf?
- People watch. Most of us are at our best here. Surrounding yourself with happy, relaxed people could add years to your life expectancy.
- Bring your pup for a walk — or meet some new ones. This place is canine heaven, and no one can resist the antics of Rover when he’s punch-drunk on oxygen and the outdoors.
- Join the Friends of Lake Quannapowitt and help protect the future of this spectacular place. They’re a hip group of people with their hearts in the right place, and we have a lot to thank them for.
- Rent a kayak and spend an afternoon paddling along the lake, getting to know the ducks and swans. Or, rent a double and get to know your date in a most relaxing atmosphere.
- Take a sailing lesson at the Quannapowitt Yacht Club. It’s the oldest inland boat club in America — we kid you not. Anyone who has been doing it that long is doing something right.
10. Pack a picnic to enjoy on the shore — or pick up a hot dog from Fred’s Franks or a sweet treat from Honey Dew Donuts. Snacks in the outdoors taste better!
So, why are you still sitting here? Get yourself over to Lake Q. Then come back to tell us what you’d add to the list.